Enterprise SEO is a huge endeavor. With differing opinions from the C-suite, how does one execute a realistic plan of action?
The initial hurdles when managing enterprise SEO can be navigating internal departments and setting the right expectations. In this episode of Content & Conversation, we chat with Jenn Mathews, the SEO Manager at GitHub, and discuss how her experiences (Nordstrom, Groupon) thus far have taught her about implementing SEO on a large scale.
- 00:27: Jenn’s background and how she landed at GitHub
- 1:06: GitHub’s technical foundation pre-SEO
- 2:00: How Jenn prioritized SEO with developers, engineers and CTOs in mind
- 3:14: Beginner vs. advanced keyword topics
- 5:15: Understanding enterprise intent for a technical audience
- 6:10: How SEO is defined at GitHub i.e. marketing
- 7:28: The collaboration between SEO and content creators
- 8:30: What developer skills overlap with SEO?
- 10:30: Why SEOs tend to misuse canonicals
- 12:10: The important of basic HTML understanding
- 13:00: Common mistakes when growing SEO at the enterprise level
- 15:18: Educating the C-suite on SEO
- 16:59: Surprising collaborations with other departments
- 18:13: What to highlight when reporting metrics to the C-suite
- 21:45: Focusing on data you can control
- 22:34: How Google’s update is affecting impressions
- 24:11: Is there an ideal in-house to agency split?
- 25:59: How to utilize your budget when growing a department