NerdWallet going public is big, but what’s bigger? Their link building strategy.
NerdWallet’s journey to a billion dollar company wasn’t all rainbows and butterflies.
While their best-in-class content marketing strategy may say otherwise, in 2017, they were penalized by Google due to their syndicated article campaigns.
As traffic numbers declined, NerdWallet’s strong investment in high-quality content and brand positioning allowed them to recover quickly.
In this episode of Content & Conversation, CEO Ross Hudgens and Drew Page, Associate Director of Marketing, break down why SEO and content is a major factor to NerdWallet’s success.
And additionally, why raising capital is an important acquisition strategy in finance verticals where links are tough to come by.
- 00:22: Disclaimer: Not investment advice! But, still important
- 00:38: What can we learn from NerdWallet’s traffic history
- 1:29: How NerdWallet’s syndication and penalization in 2017 has affected them today
- 3:36: Why multiple strategies can help combat unexpected traffic hits
- 4:04: NerdWallet’s “sin” in syndication
- 5:07: How top-of-funnel reach has contributed to NerdWallet’s success
- 5:45: Is NerdWallet’s brand defensible? What you need to invest in to “win”
- 7:03: How NerdWallet bets on quality, vulnerability to Google
- 7:53: Is it alright to be dependent on Google?
- 8:27: How younger companies can leverage their funding rounds for links and press
- 9:38: Solving for Quick Answers is still crucial
- 10:31: The risk of Google taking over tools
- 11:56: NerdWallet’s privacy and security concerns
- 13:33: What it means when a billion dollar company is built on SEO and content
- 14:23: When can we expect a Siege Media IPO on the markets?