Though content is constantly evolving, blogging isn’t going anywhere in regard to content marketing strategies. These blogging statistics can help with your content strategy in 2023 and beyond.
As an SEO-focused content marketing agency with a decade in the game, we know a thing or two about how valuable blogging is for any content strategy.
Whether you’re starting a business blog to gain visibility, implementing on-page SEO strategies to drive traffic (and conversions) to your website, or starting a personal lifestyle blog, you should keep these blogging statistics in mind.
In this post, we’ll cover the top blogging statistics and the metrics behind the most popular blogs today.
Use these top blog statistics and implement them into your content strategy for today and beyond.
1. Top Blogging Statistics
- The average blog bounce rate is 82.4%. (Siege Media)
- 26% of bloggers say that blogging drives strong marketing results for their business. (Orbit Media)
- 54% of businesses who spend $2,000+ on a piece of content report a very successful strategy. (Siege Media + Clearscope)
- In 2022 alone, 2.6 billion blog posts were written — as of October 19, 2022. (InternetLiveStats)
- Approximately 70 million new posts and 77 million comments occur on WordPress blogs each month. (WordPress)
- Production volume is the biggest stated content challenge across businesses regardless of industry (28%). (Siege Media + Clearscope)
- The top challenge facing bloggers today is finding the time to create and promote content. (Orbit Media)
- 15% of surveyed people read a blog to engage and learn more about a brand. (HubSpot)
- 75% of readers prefer blogs under 1,000 words while only 5% want blogs to be more than 2,000 words. (Contently)
- 22% of worldwide bloggers post on a weekly basis. (Statista)
- 68.52% of respondents said blogs add credibility to a website. (Social Marketing Writing)
2. Blog Traffic Statistics
How often do internet users visit blog pages? The following blog traffic data is sure to blow your mind.
- In September 2022 alone, there were 23 billion pageviews across all WordPress blogs. (WordPress)
- The four highest blog traffic niches are food, lifestyle, travel, and arts and crafts. (RankIQ)
- Of these blogs, food is the most popular niche, making up 42.8% of all high-traffic blogs. (RankIQ)
- Traffic is the second highest metric that marketers use to measure the success of their marketing strategy. (HubSpot)
- Blogs with longer headlines (14-17 words) generate 76.7% more social shares than headlines that are shorter. (Backlinko)
- Food and lifestyle blog niches receive most of their traffic from recipe blog posts. (RankIQ)
- Merely 32% of content marketers check their blogging analytics. (Statista)
- List posts get 218% more shares than how-to posts. (Backlinko)
3. Blog Posting Statistics
How often should you post blogs and which types of posts are the most popular? Check out this data about blog length and post frequency to level up your blog content.
- It takes an average of four hours and 10 minutes to write a blog post in 2022. (Orbit Media)
- Lifestyle and Mommy blogs accounted for 25% of all new blogs started in 2021. (RankIQ)
- Blogs that post 2 to 6 times per week get better results than those that publish blogs at irregular intervals. (Orbit Media)
- The average blog length is 1376 words in 2022. (Orbit Media)
- The ideal blog post length for SEO purposes is 2,100-2,400 words. (HubSpot)
- Most bloggers spend less than four hours on each article. (Orbit Media)
- With this said, bloggers who invest more than six hours in a post get better results. (Orbit Media)
4. Blog Revenue Statistics
Sure, starting a blog is the first step, but how can it make you money? Continue reading to learn more about advertisement services, the average salaries of bloggers, and the most popular types of blogs.
- 29% of businesses report no outsourcing of content creation. (Siege Media + Clearscope)
- The most common reason for blog creation is to make money. (GrowthBadger)
- The food blog niche is the most profitable blog niche in 2022, with $9169 per month. (RankIQ)
- Of all bloggers who make more than $50,000 per year, 45% of them sell their own products or services. (GrowthBadger)
- Bloggers make 42.2% of their money from affiliates. (RankIQ)
- Bloggers make an average of $45,000. (Ryan Robinson)
- Of bloggers who make at least $2,000 per month, 42% use Mediavine and 32% use AdThrive for their ad services. (RankIQ)
5. SEO and Guest Blogging Statistics
Guest blogging, link building, and SEO all go hand in hand. See how investing in SEO can make a significant difference in blog content and statistics about how freelance bloggers make money.
- 63.57% of companies actively invest in SEO. (HubSpot)
- The first 5 organic search results account for 67.6% of total clicks, while results 6–10 only receive 3.73% of clicks. (Zero Limit Web)
- Long-form blog content earns 77.2% more links than shorter content. (Backlinko)
- 60% of respondents said that they write one to five guest blogs every month. (ReferralRock)
- “What” posts, “why” posts, and infographics earn 25.8% more backlinks than videos and “how-to” posts. (Backlinko)
- Meanwhile, 3% of respondents said they write 100 or more guest posts every month. (ReferralRock)
- Only 2.2% of content generates links from multiple websites. (Backlinko)
- 53% of marketers try to rank for Google featured snippets. (HubSpot)
- 37% of guest posters are staff workers while 8% are freelancers. (ReferralRock)
6. Blog Content Marketing Statistics
It’s no secret that content marketers use blogging to drive organic traffic to see results. Check out how marketing agencies use different kinds of blogs to create content that people actually want to read.
- Businesses that spend the least on content marketing struggle to succeed in publishing volume, lead generation, and measuring ROI. (Siege Media + Clearscope)
- E-commerce and lifestyle blogs have the highest bounce rates, sometimes reaching higher than 90%. (Siege Media)
- The most popular blog content format is how-to guides (76%), followed by list-style posts (55%). (Orbit Media)
- Branded video is three times more popular than blog content and eBooks. (HubSpot)
- Bloggers who consistently work with influencers are 70% more likely to see strong results. (Orbit Media)
- Only 18% of surveyed people want to see blog content from brands and businesses they support. (HubSpot)
- 43% of readers skim blog content, while 29% consume blog content thoroughly. (HubSpot)
- Content creation is the top priority for 55% of content marketers. (HubSpot)
7. Blog Website Statistics
WordPress, Blogger, Twitter, Tumblr — the list goes on.
Learn more about the statistics behind these blogging and microblogging platforms and how users engage with them.
- 90% of content marketers leverage websites and blogs the most in their content strategy. (Siege Media + Clearscope)
- 18% of marketers use WordPress as their content management system. (HubSpot)
- 43% of all websites on the internet use WordPress. (w3techs)
- Microblogging websites like Twitter, Tumblr, and WordPress make up 23% of total social media usage. (Statista)
- WordPress is the 10th most popular website, behind Wikipedia at number nine. (Majestic)
- Over 409 million internet users read over 20 billion blog pages each month. (WordPress)
- The top five languages published on WordPress blogs are English (71%), Spanish (4.7%), Indonesian (2.4%), Portuguese (2.3%), and French (1.5%). (WordPress)
- Blogger currently has more than 572,000 live websites (BuiltWith)
8. Blog Image and Design Statistics
Blog post images are essential when it comes to creating content that people feel engaged enough to scroll through.
Check out these blog design statistics to learn more about image quality, infographic statistics, and what kind of visual assets to use in your marketing strategy.
- When businesses dedicate 10%-50% of their content efforts towards content design, they are 33% more likely to report successful results. (Siege Media + Clearscope)
- An image exported at twice the width of your blog at 50% quality will still be sharper than an image sized exactly for the blog. (Siege Media)
- Blog post images account for 40% to 60% of your page load speed. (Search Engine Land)
- 64% of content marketers currently incorporate interactives as part of their content strategy. (Siege Media + Clearscope)
- 38% of content marketers planned to use infographics in their content strategy for the first time in 2022. (HubSpot)
- 51.4% of respondents said most of their content (91-100%) contained a visual element. (Venngage)
- Users upload upwards of 3.2 billion photos and 720,000 hours of video to the internet every day. (QUT)
- 36.4% of marketers used original graphics for their visual content, while 33.6% used a majority of stock photos in 2021. (Venngage)
- Of these respondents, 41% said original graphics worked best for them, while only 11.2% said stock photos worked best. (Venngage)
- Infographic posts earn the third highest number of backlinks, behind “what” and “why” posts. (Backlinko)
9. Business Blog Statistics
If you’re starting a blog for your business, check out these statistics to see data about return on investment (ROI), content strategy, and how customers feel connected to a brand through blog content.
- 10% of marketers believe that blogging generates the biggest ROI. (HubSpot)
- Companies with business blogs generate +67% leads per month. (Demand Metric)
- Most content marketers (54%) agree that blogging is an effective content strategy. (HubSpot)
- 87% of B2B marketers use social media to distribute their content. (Demand Metric)
- Businesses that blog see their monthly leads rise by 126% more than businesses that don’t. (HubSpot)
- A majority of consumers (82%) feel positive about a company that makes custom content. (Demand Metric)
- Meanwhile, 78% of consumers feel a relationship with a company through custom content. (Demand Metric)
10. Blog Accessibility Statistics
Since a majority of users use google search on their mobile devices, Google started using mobile-first indexing to make sure that ranking content is mobile-friendly.
Keep reading to learn more statistics about blog accessibility.
- A majority of SEO content marketers (64%) say mobile optimization is a worthwhile investment. (HubSpot)
- In the second quarter of 2022, 58.99% of all worldwide website traffic was from mobile devices. (Statista)
- 52% of images on the web fail to meet accessibility standards that are set by the Americans with Disabilities Act Standards for Accessible Design. (Chain Store Age)
- 92.1% of internet users access it on a mobile device. (HootSuite)
- The optimal length for blog alt text images is 125 characters or less. (Moz)
Use Siege for All Your Blogging Needs
Now that you have top blogging statistics at your fingertips, you can implement them into your content strategy.
Need help with implementing a built-out content strategy? Siege Media is here to help you create content that is proven to drive prospects to your website and increase your blog’s ROI. Learn more about our content marketing services.